Wednesday, July 25, 2012

How to replace the rear panels on the Fisher Price Loving Family Grand Dollhouse

We all know that though Fisher Price is known for quality toys, they just don't make 'em like they used to. I have also learned in 12+ years of raising children, that children CAN break ANYTHING! My neighbor is planning a move soon, and gave my daughter a broken Fisher Price Grand Dollhouse (the new pink model), and it was missing some parts and one of the inside floor supports were broken. My daughter decided she didn't really want it, so I took it to sell the good parts, as replacement parts for these houses are hard to find, and Fisher Price is offering very limited part selection at this time. 

I was going to sell the entire base, but realized that once the house is constructed there is a slim likelihood that it would need to be completely replaced. However, it occurred to me that the rear panels that close it up for storage, could possibly be cracked or broken off as this plastic is a lot thinner than the 90's version of the Grand Dollhouse

So I decided to remove them and sell them as replacements. Well, it was easier said than done, as the bottom of the hinges has been sealed, unlike the earlier versions. I am not one to give up, however, and figured that they got them in there, there must be a way to get them out. I started by poking a small screwdriver eyeglass repair kit through the VERY tiny opening, and pushed and turned until I saw the shiny metal rod. 



 YES! There was a way! I recommend a dremel or very small drill bit and a low setting on a regular drill to make this process a little less tedious and messy. Whatever you do, slow and steady is the best way. 


The next step was to remove the rod. This is where you must be very careful, because the thin plastic at the top of the hinge that remains on the dollhouse cracks very easily. I took a precision screwdriver with a very small flat bit, and gently wiggled in between the plastic and the metal rod. Using light pressure, I was able to pop the rod out of the bottom hole. 



I then flipped the house over and pulled out the exposed metal rod. 




You just finish pulling that bad boy out~



And..


reverse the process for replacement! 

I don't think that the rods will slip out after you replace your broken panel, but I believe a touch of hot glue or super-glue would seal the hole back up if you prefer to be sure. 

These parts will be available for purchase soon at Kid-Cra-Zee Toys and More






No comments:

Post a Comment